Summer Undergraduate Research in Genetics and Genomics (SURGe) at Texas A&M University
May 26 – July 27, 2020
The Program: Students can participate in a 10-week summer research program under the direction of the Genetics / Genomics faculty. Topics of research include:
- Biomedical Genetics / Genomics
- Animal Genetics / Genomics
- Plant Genetics / Genomics
- Evolutionary Genetics / Genomics
- Computational Genetics / Genomics
- Microbial Genetics / Genomics
Students will have weekly meetings, which allows them to explore research and career opportunities in genetics and genomics, discuss research ethics, information for applying to graduate schools, and learn effective oral and written presentation skills. Additionally, participants will take GENE 489, a 3-cr course ‘Introductory Bioinformatics’, that will provide training modern bioinformatics tools via command-line that are used in genetics and genomics and which can be transferred to their home institution. Financial support will include a stipend of $5500, in addition to living expenses (room and board) on campus, and travel expenses.
Eligibility: The program is open to undergraduate students majoring in genetics, genomics, biology, or any life science. Preference will be given to candidates who have finished their third year and have already taken a genetics course. However, outstanding students who have completed their second year of college work will also be considered. This program is committed to provide research opportunities for students from groups that are underrepresented in the sciences. Due to funding sources, preference is given to US citizens and permanent residents.
- To apply, complete the online application.
- Your application must include:
- completed application form, including statement of purpose and goals
- 2 letters of recommendation
- transcript from undergraduate institution (unofficial transcript is OK for review of application)
Application deadline is February 14, 2020.
If you have any questions or concerns, email David Threadgill (firstname.lastname@example.org).