- B.S./M.Sc. 1982, Genetics & Cytology, Tartu University, Estonia.
- Ph.D. 1999, Molecular Genetics, The Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Uppsala, Sweden.
Twenty years of research experience in the areas of mammalian cytogenetics and genomics with special focus on the genomics of mammalian sex chromosomes, and the genomics of reproduction. Received funding from federal (USDA) and private (Morris Animal Foundation, American Quarter Horse Association, Alpaca Research Foundation) agencies. Publications: 98 research papers and 11 book chapters. Some published in high impact journals such as Science, PNAS, Genome Research, PLoS Genetics. Trained 3 postdocs, 18 graduate students, and 22 undergraduates.
• Comparative genomics and molecular cytogenetics;
• Organization, function and evolution of sex chromosomes;
• Genomics of sexual development and reproduction;
• Equine genomics - genomics of genetic diseases and congenital disorders;
• Alpaca and camelid genomics.